Friday, March 13, 2015

The transition from working mom to stay-at-home mom…

I distinctly remember looking for a daycare when I was pregnant with Tyce.  I wanted to make sure I found one that at least stayed open until 6:30.  I was in public accounting, Clancy was in public accounting, surely one of us could always leave by 6 to get him everyday?  I loved my job.  I was one of the few that would openly tell people that I wanted to be a partner (this is few and far between in public accounting- ha!).  I would seek out opportunities, any opportunity, to advance my career.  I specifically waited until I was a manager to get pregnant because career-wise I believed that was the best option.  Yes, I was THAT person.  (Totally nothing wrong with that person- but just so you get the picture.) I remember someone coming up to me and saying, "You know, you aren't going to care what time the daycare closes, your priorities will shift."  I laughed and thought, "She doesn't know me."  Turns out, she might have known me better than I knew myself!  (Or at least knew the effects of parenthood on some people).

Tyce was born in 2010, and as most of you have also experienced, I had emotions I had never felt before.  I was dreading going back to work, but everyone reassured me that I would get used to it.  I cried the first day. I cried the second day.  I stressed out at work starting around 2 or 3 trying to figure to what time I could leave so I wouldn't hit traffic and could get Tyce as early as possible.   Everyone kept telling me it would get easier.

Tyce as a baby

Fast forward a couple years, and for me, it didn't get easier.  Along came another kid and I still would rather be home with them.  I still loved my job, but I realized I loved spending time with my kids so much more.  I cared so much less about the money. All of these other working moms had adjusted to some extent and I couldn't.  Totally nothing against them, I was actually a little jealous I couldn't quite "adjust", but I was still struggling.  I refused to EVER leave them at night, on the weekend, send them to church nursery because I couldn't stand being away from them for another minute - I felt like that time was way too valuable.  This started to effect other things as Clancy and I would never go on dates, would never leave them, etc.  I refused to even stop at the grocery store and run in to get one thing on the way home bc that was time I couldn't see them- sound crazy?

Enter Coy

We decided that we were going to have a total change of plans and after the third kid came along, we would find a way for me to stay home.  And then that third kid did come along...

Baby Bryn...the one who pushed me off the cliff :)

Let's just say that decision was easy emotionally and financially difficult.  I had been in public accounting for 10 years.  Clancy is in the same profession which means we were basically cutting our income in half.  EEEK… at ANY income level, that is tough! We made a lot of financial sacrifices and decided to go for it.

Although I am a CPA, holistic health has been my passion for a while.  When I decided to stay home, I also decided I would pursue the business side of essential oils for "fun" because I loved the oils so much and as many of you know, love sharing my opinions.  :)  I guess this is the part where people keep telling you "the financial part will work out".

Young Living oils have blessed my family more than you can imagine.  In the relatively short time that I have been pursuing this business, it has provided me with 1) financial benefits I could have never imagined, 2) an avenue to pursue my passion of helping people get healthier and learn how to be healthy, 3) a way to channel my competitive drive, and 4) given me adult interaction and the best of both worlds - a career while being home with the kids.

Tyce with the Aroma Complete

I hardly ever talk about these oils as a business opportunity because I don't want to ever distract anyone from how amazing these oils are.  And its not about business to me, its about getting healthy.  It is about teaching people that there are other options.  But what I want everyone to take from my story is this:  find what you LOVE, find what you want to do, pursue it.  Pursue it with 100% effort, even if you have limited time.  It will pay off, emotionally, spiritually and the financial part will come.  Although I loved my job, nothing compares to staying home with my kids and doing something I love on the "side".  I can't even begin to express how excited I get when I hear all of your oil success stories.  These oils have changed my life in more ways than one- and I know they have helped more of you than I can count.  I hope they will also bless yours if you haven't yet started your journey.

If you aren't a member and want to be part of the Oils Adventure team, sign up here.  We are also hosting a few live classes this month (first on on Sunday in Austin) and webinars, so if you want more information, please comment or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs