Saturday, February 1, 2014

Let's start at the very beginning.....

The only place to start.......


So, Allena and I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog to share our love for oils!  I am hoping that these posts will help share ideas and knowledge about different kinds and uses for oils.  I will say as it applies to this whole blog, I am NOT a doctor.  So, this information is all based on my experiences and experiences of others and should not be used as medical advice.  I am an accountant, and accountant who has done a TON of research into alternative health and wellness, but an accountant nonetheless.  There are a ton of books on essential oils, lots of websites and testimonies on oils online.  Do your own research, it's fascinating. 

What are essential oils?

Thought this would be a good place to start, you know, at the beginning.  Basically, in technical terms, an essential oil is a liquid made from some sort of plant. :)  Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation, often by using steam.  Even if you aren't aware, they are used in perfumes, cosmetics, and soaps, for flavoring food and drink, and for adding scents to household cleaning products.  Essential oils have been used medicinally in history and date back to the bible.

How do we use essential oils?

You can use Young Living essential oils in 3 ways:  diffusing, application, and internally.  For diffusing essential oils, it is recommended you use a cold air diffuser.  Using a cold air diffuser saves the benefits of the oils as well as gives off an aroma.  If you heat the oil, the benefits of the oil disappears (even thought it still smells good).  For application, most oils can be applied to the bottom of the feet.  There are some oils that you can also apply elsewhere if it makes sense (ie, lavender on your chest if you have a cough etc.).  If you don't know where to apply, apply to the feet.  Most oils can be applied neat (meaning straight from the bottle) and others need to be diluted with a carrier oil before they are applied (ie, coconut oil, olive oil etc).  There are few oils for adults that actually need a carrier oil (oregano, cinnamon bark, lemongrass are a couple examples), but if you don't know, you should look it up. And most of the time, you can just google it!  Other oils can be taken internally (and I am only speaking for Young Living oils when I make this claim).  I honestly don't have a ton of experience with this, but googling it can produce a lot of examples.

Why should I try essential oils?

This is a great question (of course it is, I came up with it.  :).. )    I have a couple of thoughts on this one.  First of all, why not?  They are natural, plant based oils and thus do not have side effects (if used in moderation of course, like everything).  That being said, essential oils have been my go-to before I try anything else and my go-to when I need calming or a mental refresh.

In addition, can you remember a time you walked into a spa, walked out by the ocean, went outside on a beautiful day in the mountains and the smell relaxes you, puts you in a better mood and refreshes your spirit?  Aromatherapy is real.  You can diffuse and inhale certain oils that can improve your mood, improve your energy, improve your focus and you can change it as often as you would like. 

Lastly, there is an oil that kills 99% of airborne germs and bacteria and there is an oil that stops my husband from snoring.  If that doesn't sell you, I am surprised, but also sure I can think of more.  :)

Welcome to the use of essential oils.  I hope we can share ideas and improve our moods and health!

And if you have any questions, please let me know!

1 comment:

 
site design by designer blogs