Wednesday, February 12, 2014

AHHHHH Peppermint!

Peppermint has a special place in my heart.  When I was in the hospital having my third sweet child, I got really bad nausea during my labor.  My L&D nurse took some peppermint essential oil out of her pocket, put it on a washcloth and laid it on my chest.  It made me feel so much better she kept laughing at me because the only time I would ring the nurse call button was when I couldn’t find my peppermint washcloth.  So, peppermint is known to help nausea, worked for me, as well as other stomach issues.

I have also used peppermint to help when I had a headache, applying it to my temples and the back of my neck.   And I put peppermint oil on my chest when I am congested or put it in my hands and breathe deeply.  J

A little while ago, my sister found out that there were mice in her car.  Yep, you hear that right, mice in her car.  How nasty is that?  When I was looking up something else, I found that peppermint oil deters mice, ants and cockroaches.  If she would have only known that before she found the chewed up pacifiers.

After thieves, peppermint oil is my second choice in the diffuser.  For some reason, it smells AMAZING diffused.  If you haven’t tried it, please do!

Some other documented uses for peppermint oil are:

1.      Add to water for flavor or fresh breath

2.      Put on the back of your neck to cool down hot flashes

3.      Apply to your wrists for motion sickness

4.      Can help with joint pain if applied directly to the area of pain (think Icy Hot??!)

5.      I have used as a natural way to regulate body temperature!

One thing peppermint also is known to do is decrease milk supply.  So, all you breastfeeding moms, stay away from peppermint oil on your chest area or ingesting it.  I still diffuse it and use it for headaches and haven’t noticed any supply issue.  But also something to remember when you decide you want to dry up???

 Peppermint oil smells amazing.  Again, maybe a little strong for some straight out of the bottle, but put some in that diffuser!  It is a win/win when something is so versatile AND smells so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs